Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
4 tablespoons (80g) butter
4 tablespoons (50g) soft brown sugar
3 teaspoons ground green cardamom seeds
½ – 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger, to taste
4 mangoes (or apples, bananas, pears or fruit in season), peeled and sliced into fingers
Juice of 1 lime
4/5 cup (120g) plain flour
1 cup (250ml) milk
1 tablespoon (20ml) brandy (optional)
3 teaspoons (15ml) oil
butter for frying
¼ cup crystalised ginger, roughly chopped
1 cup (280g) plain yoghurt
- For the crepes: combine crepe ingredients and whisk until smooth. Ideally stand this batter for one hour.
- Heat a small crepe pan, approx 18cm, over medium high heat. Add a knob of butter and when melted, wipe out with a clean kitchen towel. Return to heat and pour or ladle in 2 tablespoons of batter, or enough to thinly cover the base of the pan as you tilt it to spread the batter evenly. If there is too much mixture, tip the excess out.
- Cook until bubbles appear all over the crepe and the batter loses its shine. Loosen the edges and flip over. Cook for a further minute or so on the other side. Drop onto a clean tea towel or piece of baking paper.
- Repeat with remaining mixture. Occasionally wipe out pan with the buttery kitchen towel. Stack crepes on top of each other. Wrap up well if you are making in advance (they refrigerate and freeze well).
- For the mangoes: heat the butter and sugar in medium pan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is melted. Stir in the ginger and ground cardamom and allow to boil to make a caramel sauce. Add some water if necessary. Place mangoes in pan and spoon sauce over the top cooking until just warmed through. Stir through lime juice. Lift out of the pan into serving dishes, and do a second batch in the pan if required.
- To serve: Stir the crystalised ginger through the yoghurt. Spread a spoonful of yoghurt onto each crepe, top with two slices of mango or chosen fruit and roll up and enjoy.
*Note: Australian measurements 1 tablespoon = 20ml are used throughout.