Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
3 cups plain flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons bi-carb soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon or garam masala
1½ cups neutral flavoured oil, rice bran or grape seed
1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
250g crushed pineapple, undrained
2 cups chopped banana
Cream cheese icing
250g cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
500g icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C and fan-forced). Grease and flour a 25cm cake tin and line the base with a circle of baking paper. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Combine eggs, oil and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and beat lightly until combined.
- Add egg and oil mixture to dry ingredients with crushed pineapple and its juice and banana. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake tin. Bake for 1 hour or a skewer inserted is removed dry with no clinging batter. Cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before slicing horizontally into two or three. Sandwich the cake with some of the icing and top with the remainder.
- For icing: beat or process together butter, cream cheese, vanilla and icing sugar. Add a little milk or hot water if it is too stiff.
Lyndey’s Note: This cake will keep fresh for up to 4 days and can also be frozen un-iced for up to four months.