Javier Codina’s Jamon Croquetas
I love Spanish tapas. Jamon croquetas are quintessentially Spanish and a particular favourite so I was thrilled when my good friend Javier Codina served them on arrival at my recent book launch in Brisbane at his restaurant Moda. He kindly agreed to share his recipe with me.
Makes 20 croquetas and dipping sauce
Preparation Time: 15 minutes + 2 hours cooling time
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
50ml olive oil
375g brown onions, chopped
125g plain flour
400g jamon serrano, sliced finely, small diced
50g plain flour
2 eggs, whisked
100g bread crumbs
Oil for frying
- In a deep pan on low heat, add the olive oil and onion then cook for approximately 20 minutes. Very gently add the 125g plain flour to the onion mix and continue cooking on a low temperature for 5 minutes.
- Slowly pour the milk into the mix and whisk. Stir the jamon into the mixture, which will be quite firm.
- Place the mixture on a tray and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut mixture into 40-50g portions then shape. Roll in flour, dip into whisked egg then roll in breadcrumbs.
- Set the deep fryer or deep pan to a medium heat. In small batches, fry the fritters until golden brown. Place onto a serving plate.
Romesco Dipping Sauce
1 red capsicum
2 ripe tomatoes
1 small brown onion, peeled
2 garlic cloves
50ml extra virgin olive oil
25ml red wine vinegar
4 roasted almonds and hazelnuts
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 355°F). Place whole capsicum, tomatoes, onion and garlic on a roasting tray then drizzle with olive oil and bake in oven for 25 minutes.
- Once cooked, peel vegetables and remove seeds from the capsicum. Place roasted vegetables, red wine vinegar, remaining oil and nuts into a processor then blitz to a homogeneous paste. If thinning is required – add one tablespoon of water to sauce and re-blitz until you reach desired consistency. Season to taste.
- Pour into dipping bowl then place on serving plate with fritters.
Lyndey with Javier Codina at her book launch, Moda Restaurant
Moda Restaurant, 12 Edward Street, Brisbane (opposite Stamford Plaza) P 0732217655
Email: email@example.com www.modarestaurant.com.au
Dinner: Monday to Saturday from 6pm to late
Lunch: Thursday and Friday from 12 noon
Private, corporate, weddings: 7 days/evenings by appointment
Owners: Javier Codina + Francois Le Saveant