Prosciutto, Mushroom & Egg Tart
This Prosciutto, Mushroom & Egg tart is perfect for brunch, a real crowd pleaser, and yet is so simple to make.
Preparation 20 minutes
Cooking 25 – 30 minutes
150g button mushrooms, sliced
4 sheets fillo pastry
2 tablespoons (40mls) melted butter
1 cup (200g) fresh ricotta or cottage cheese
1 cup (250mls) milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 slices prosciutto
2 slices prosciutto extra, cooked till crisp (optional)
1 cup baby rocket
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Saute mushrooms in half the butter in a medium frying pan until just cooked. Remove and cool a little.
- Place one sheet fillo over a 26cm round pie dish allowing the edges to hang over the rim. Place next sheet over it at a 45’ angle. Brush with melted butter. Place remaining two sheets over these, again each time at a 45’ angle to the one beneath. Use your hands to scrunch up the overhanging pastry around the rim. Brush with remaining butter.
- Drain mushrooms if they have thrown any liquid and then scatter them over the pastry
- Mix ricotta, milk, salt and pepper and 3 eggs together and dollop or spread over the pastry and mushrooms. Sprinkle with half the parmesan cheese. Tear prosciutto lengthways and drape it on the top of the tart in a spiral out from the centre. Cook for 20 – 25 mins or until ricotta mixture is set. Remove from oven.
- Break remaining eggs in between prosciutto. Sprinkle over remaining parmesan. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 mins or so, until eggs are just set.
- Remove from oven and scatter with extra prosciutto and rocket leaves to serve.