Roast Duck with Cherry Sauce, Spiced Carrots & Asparagus
Chinese BBQ ducks can be bought in Asian stores or from Chinese restaurants. Make sure you ask for whole duck and not chopped up or else just cut in four.
Preparation 5 mins
Cooking 12 mins
1 large Chinese BBQ duck
2 cups (500mls) chicken stock
1 cup (250mls) rose wine
¼ cup brown sugar
300g pack frozen pitted cherries
Lemon juice or soy sauce, optional, to taste
4 large (600g) carrots, peeled and trimmed
1 ½ teaspoons honey
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
2 bunches asparagus, trimmed & washed
2 tablespoons (40ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
For the carrots: Cut in half crossways. Thickly slice each piece lengthways, then cut into 5cm batons. Cook carrots in a medium saucepan of boiling water until just tender; drain. Heat butter in the same saucepan, add honey and ginger cook, stirring until melted. Return carrots to pan, toss to combine
- For the sauce: bring all ingredients to the boil over medium heat in a small saucepan and reduce by half, approx 10 minutes. Taste and if it is too sweet add a dash of lemon juice or soy sauce
- Cut duck into four using poultry shears if not already done. Place on baking tray in oven for 10 minutes or until warm. This will also render more of the fat.
- Meanwhile snap the ends off asparagus and toss with oil and garlic. Cook a on a heated, oiled grill plate (or grill or barbecue) until just tender. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve duck with sauce and vegetables.
Lyndey’s Note: Frozen berries are great for cooking and the cost does not fluctuate with seasonality. You could use blueberries or raspberries.