Serves 4 or 6 as entree
Preparation Time: 20 minutes + roasting and resting time
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
1¾ cups (260g) plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
160g salted butter, chilled, cubed
1 egg yolk
¼ cup (60ml) cold water
1 tablespoon polenta
8 sprigs fresh thyme
100g creamy feta, crumbled
baby salad and beetroot leaf salad mix, to serve
Roasted Summer Tomatoes
350g tub tomato medley
250g packet baby truss tomatoes
3 medium sized vine ripened or heirloom tomatoes
3 small green plum tomatoes
Extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt flakes
250g tub mascarpone
Finely grated zest and juice one lemon
Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the flour and salt in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse 15 – 20 times while adding cold water all at once. It should just come together into a smooth ball. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently.
- Place on one of the prepared trays and, using your fingers, push the pastry into rectangle shape measuring about 30cm x 23cm. Sprinkle dough with polenta. Place tray in fridge and refrigerate pastry base for 30 minutes to rest.
- While pastry rests, prepare the roasted summer tomatoes: Depending on the size and shape of tomatoes, quarter, thickly slice or leave whole so there is a mix of shapes and sizes. Place the tomatoes on the remaining prepared tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake tomatoes for 15 minutes, or until they have softened. Don’t overcook as they cook again on the pastry base. Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- For the lemon mascarpone: Combine all ingredients, stir gently.
- To bake tart, spoon a tablespoon of lemon mascarpone over pastry base. Place roasted tomatoes evenly over pastry. Sprinkle thyme leaves and sprigs over the top. Either sprinkle with the crumbled feta now (or for a fresher finish add after baking). Bake for 20-25 minutes until pastry is golden and crisp. Rest the tart for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with a dollop of lemon mascarpone and a salad of baby lettuce and beetroot leaves.
Lyndey’s Bake Range is now available to purchase in store from Blueprint Retail in Potts Point! They are located at 46A Macleay St, Potts Point NSW 2011 and are open every day from 10:00-6:00pm (except Sundays – close at 5:00pm).