Makes: 18 pieces
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 25 – 30 mins
1 cup (150g) raisins
¼ cup rum
100g eating quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
2/3 cup (150g) brown sugar
1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
1/3 cup (35g) good quality cocoa
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup (40g) shredded coconut (optional)
Icing sugar, to dust (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Line the base of an 18 x 28 cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Heat the rum and the raisins together in a small saucepan over medium heat (or in the microwave) just until the rum comes to the boil, then set aside to plump up for at least 10 minutes.
- Melt butter, chocolate and brown sugar in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat and stir frequently until well combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in sifted flour, cocoa, baking soda, eggs and cooled raisins.
- Pour into the prepared tin, top with shredded coconut and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until firm and a knife inserted in the centre comes out cleanly.
- Leave in tin to cool a little for 10 minutes and then cut in half lengthwise and then across to make 18 rectangles.