Salmon and Blood Oranges in Cartoccio with Smashed Potatoes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 12 minutes
6 Redbelly Blood Oranges Citrus
4 salmon fillets
1 baby fennel, cored, thinly sliced, fronds reserved
20 green Sicilian olives, stoned
2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
800g chat potatoes, boiled until very tender
2 tablespoons (40ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- For Smashed potatoes: Place boiled potatoes on a paper-lined baking tray and use the back of a fork or a potato masher to lightly crush each potato. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning once half way to encourage browning. Increase oven to 220’C (200’C fan-forced). Leave potatoes in the oven.
- Cut eight 34 x 30cm pieces of baking paper. Lay four pieces over the bench, top each with a second piece.
- Wash 2 Redbelly citrus, leave skin on and slice into rounds. Juice 1 Redbelly, Cut 3 Redbelly into segments: cut a small slice off the ends of each remaining Redbelly. Stand up on one end, and carefully, following the contour of the Redbelly, cut down to remove the peel and the pith. Holding the fruit in one hand, cut down one side of the membrane on one segment, almost to the core. Cut down along the inside of the opposite membrane, to cut out a wedge with no pith or membrane attached. Repeat until you have cut out all segments. Squeeze juice out of the remaining core into the juice then discard the core.
- Place a bed of Redbelly slices in the centre of each layer of baking paper, and top evenly with salmon fillet, fennel, olives, capers, salt and pepper and drizzle with Redbelly juice and olive oil.
- Bring the long sides of each piece up and fold and roll firmly down. Then fold in the 2 short sides and tuck them under tightly to create a pocket. Repeat to make five more parcels.
- Place parcels seam side on oven tray. Bake until just cooked through 10 minutes.
- Remove straight onto serving plates, carefully open the top of each parcel. Serve with smashed potatoes.
Lyndeys Note: Any fish can be used or try thinly sliced chicken breast or pork medallions.
Vegetarian alternative: Replace salmon with zucchini strips and mushrooms.