Spiced Apple & Raspberry Slice
This Spiced Apple & Raspberry slice is quite cakey rather than a traditional slice but it cuts up beautifully into little bite-sized morsels to pop in your mouth with coffee.
Makes 18 pieces
Preparation 15 minutes
Cooking 45 minutes
½ cup (110g) caster sugar
1 star anise
2 medium (280g) apples
100g (2/3 cup) plain flour
1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup (55g) firmly packed brown sugar
¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
¼ teaspoon cardamom
60g cold butter, diced
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
2/3 cup (160mls milk)
100g fresh or frozen raspberries
Icing sugar to dust, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line an 18 x 28cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Place ½ cup caster sugar and star anise in a small saucepan with 1 cup water. Place over low heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to a simmer.
- Peel apples, cut into quarters, core and then cut into wedges. Place in sugar syrup and poach until just tender, about 5 mins. Drain well.
- Place flour, baking powder, brown and caster sugars and cardamom in food process and whiz to combine. Drop in the butter and pulse until it is the texture of breadcrumbs. Add remaining ingredients and process until just combined. Do not overbeat.
- Pour into prepared tray and spread out. Lay apple pieces on top of this then sprinkle over raspberries.
- Bake until golden on top and cooked through, around 35 mins. Remove from the oven, cool in the tray, then cut into squares. Serve as is or dusted with icing sugar.
Raspberries & Cream Shortcakes