Preparation Time: 30 minutes + 20 minutes refrigeration
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1kg ground lamb mince
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 medium onion, grated
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ cup (80g) pine nuts, toasted
½ cup (80g) currants
1/3 cup (110g) spicy tomato chutney
¼ cup chopped finely chopped fresh mint
Finely grated zest one lemon
2 teaspoons salt flakes
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 teaspoons black sesame seeds, optional
4 sheets ready-rolled butter puff pastry, separated
Extra spicy tomato chutney and chopped mint, combined, to serve
- Line two oven trays with Gbaking paper. Use a smear of butter across the tray so baking paper adheres to tray.
- Place the lamb mince, breadcrumbs, onion, cumin, pine nuts, currants, chutney, mint and lemon zest in large bowl. Use your hand (in a plastic glove if preferred) or spatula to combine the mixture, mix it well, but don’t over work the mince mixture or it will become pasty.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each partly-thawed sheet of pastry in half lengthways.
- Put half the mince mixture in a large sturdy Glad snap lock bag (or piping bag), press bag together and dispel the air. Twist or turn the bag, just like you would a piping bag.
- Cut the bottom corner off the snap lock bag, leaving a hole about 2cm in diameter and pipe mince mixture along the centre of two of the sheets of pastry. Roll pastry to enclose the mince. Cut each into 3-4cm pieces. Repeat with the remaining pastry and mince. Place on prepared trays, cut side down and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to moderately hot 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Brush sausage rolls with egg and sprinkle with combined sesame seeds. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve sausage rolls with tomato chutney mixed with the fresh mint.
I have cut these into quite chunky sausage rolls. You could cut smaller for cocktail size, or larger for lunch size – it’s up to you!
Other savoury baking recipes:
Lyndey’s Bake Range is now available to purchase in store from Blueprint Retail in Potts Point! They are located at 46A Macleay St, Potts Point NSW 2011 and are open every day from 10:00-6:00pm (except Sundays – close at 5:00pm).