4 kangaroo fillets, trimmed of all silverskin, brushed with a small amount of olive oil to prevent it oxidising.
8-10 galangal leaves, washed and dried
2 tablespoons finely chopped galangal
2 fresh chillies, seeded and finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons palm sugar,grated
Grated zest of 1 lime
Roots and stems of 8 coriander plants (reserve leaves for salad), finely chopped
2 stalks lemongrass (tender part only), very finely chopped
1 tab extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons lime juice|
1 tab of finished spice paste (see above)
1 green pawpaw (about 600g), peeled, seeds removed, coarsely grated
2-3 bananas (depending on size), diced or coarsely crushed
1 handful mint leaves, torn
Juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons fish sauce
Reserved coriander leaves
- Mix all ingredients for spice paste together. Taste a little for salt and spiciness. Rub all over the kangaroo fillets.
- Set kangaroo aside on a plate for half an hour. Cover loosely with galangal leaves.
- Mix all salad ingredients together. Line a shallow bowl with more galangal leaves. pile on the salad, scatter with coriander leaves.
- Heat barbecue or non-stick frypan to very hot.
- Sear kangaroo for 2 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate, and recover with some leaves (to protect from insects as much as anything else) and allow to rest for five minutes.
- Discard wrapping leaves. Slice kangaroo on the bias and serve on top of or alongside the pawpaw and banana salad