BarbeCURE Chicken & Veggie Skewers
Lyndey cooked these BarbeCURE Chicken & Veggie Skewers on Weekend Today on Channel 9 in Australia to encourage donations to Cure Cancer. Chicken Yakitori means skewered chicken in Japan and the veggies add colour to your BBQ. They suit all ages and please vegans, vegetarians and ominivores alike. Use any vegetables in season and get the kids involved – they love skewering cherry tomatoes!
Serves: 20+ as canapes or 4 mains
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 12 – 15 minutes
40 mini skewers or 12 longer bamboo skewers
600g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm bite-size pieces
5 green onions (shallots), cut into 2cm pieces
White sesame seeds, to serve
100ml soy sauce
1/3 cup (80ml) sake
1/3 cup (80ml) mirin
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 ½ tablespoons finely grated ginger
4 garlic cloves, finely grated
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium red onion, cut into 6 wedges, then pulled apart
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 red capsicum, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
1 yellow capsicum, cut into 1.5cm pieces
1 green capsicum, cut into 1.5cm pieces
12 button mushrooms
1 punnet cherry tomatoes
Extra virgin olive oil
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water, or freeze for 30 minutes, then drain.
- For the tare sauce: combine all ingredients except pepper with a 1 tablespoon (20ml) water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring, over medium-high heat then reduce to medium and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until sauce is thick and syrupy. Stir in pepper then set aside to cool.
- For the chicken yakitori: thread one piece green onion, two chicken pieces and another piece of green onions per skewer then place in a flat non-reactive dish and pour over cooled sauce. Place in the fridge and marinate if time for an hour or even overnight.
- Pre-heat chargrill or BBQ to medium-high, brush with oil then cook skewers for 10 minutes, turning once and basting with the remaining tare sauce. Place sauce/marinade in a small saucepan, bring to the boil to heat and reduce.
- To serve, brush with thickened sauce (or use as a dipping sauce), scatter with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Meanwhile for the veggie skewers: skewer veggie pieces alternately, beginning and ending with a mushroom. Brush with oil and place on the pre-heated BBQ. Cook for approx. 5 minutes each side or until vegetables are just soft and brown around the edges. Brush with balsamic glaze in the last couple of minutes so it doesn’t burn.
Lyndey’s Note: Tare sauce is a versatile thick, soy dipping sauce used for everything from Chicken Yakitori to anything grilled and even gyoza. No two recipes are the same but it is an essential part of chicken or any other yakitori.
These recipes go well with BBQ pumpkin, cashew & spinach salad.
For other skewers try BBQ Salmon Skewers with Crunchy Slaw