BBQ Salmon Skewers with Crunchy Slaw
BBQ Salmon Skewers with Crunchy Slaw is a quick yet stylish recipe, smart enough for guests yet family friendly.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 4 – 6 minutes
600g skinless pin-boned salmon fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3 lemons, very thinly sliced into rounds
Extra virgin olive oil to brush
¼ cup (70g) Greek-style yoghurt
1 tablespoon horseradish cream
½ tablespoon maple syrup or honey
½ small (300g) green cabbage, finely shredded
100g snow peas, blanched, cut in long strips
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
60g toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Soak 16 x 20 – 25 cm bamboo skewers in water or use metal skewers. Pre-heat barbeque to medium high.
- For the slaw: whisk together yoghurt, horseradish and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Combine with remaining ingredients.
- Combine salmon, dill, sesame, cumin, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Thread four pieces of salmon alternately with lemon slices folded in half, onto double skewers, beginning and ending with salmon. Repeat until you have 8 sets.
- Brush the skewers liberally with oil and barbecue for two minutes each on two sides for pink flesh or cook another minute on the two alternate sides for better done.
- Serve 2 skewers per person, immediately with slaw.
Lyndey’s Note: Using double skewers makes it easier to handle and less likely salmon will swing around.
Recipe by Lyndey Milan from January/February 2022 issue of Selector Magazine
Watch Lyndey make it here
Photography by: John Paul Urizar