These light chicken balls or chicken Kofta are a real winner as finger food, entree or main. Delicious alone as finger food, they are also good with a simple sauce made of tomato pasta sauce, freshly chopped garlic and coriander and a little extra virgin olive oil.
Preparation time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes chilling
Cooking time: 5 minutes
1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley
1/4 bunch coriander (cilantro)
4 thick slices stale with bread, crusts removed
75 g (2 1/2 oz) shelled, unsalted, roasted pistachios
2 teaspoons ground cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
juice of 1 lemon
1 double chicken breast, about 470g (15 oz), roughly chopped
90 g (3 oz) sesame seeds (or couscous)
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for shallow-frying
tomato sauce, to serve
couscous, to serve
- With food processor motor running continuously, chop herbs, then add bread. When fine crumbs form, add pistachios and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add spices, lemon juice and chicken and blend only until combined. Season to taste and mix again, if necessary.
- With damp hands roll mixture into walnut-size balls.
- Roll in sesame seeds or couscous to coat and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil and cook kofta, shaking pan frequently to roll kofta, for 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm with tomato sauce and couscous.
Lyndey’s Note: Make your own tomato sauce or use a good quality bottled passata or pasta sauce.
Wine: Drink a light red wine such as chambourcin or sangiovese.
If you like the flavours of this recipe you might like Quick Chicken Cassoulet with Preserved Lemon