These light chicken balls or chicken Kofta are a real winner as finger food, entree or main. Delicious alone as finger food, they are also good with a simple sauce made of tomato pasta sauce, freshly chopped garlic and coriander and a little extra virgin olive oil.
Preparation time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes chilling
Cooking time: 5 minutes
1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley
1/4 bunch coriander (cilantro)
4 thick slices stale with bread, crusts removed
75 g (2 1/2 oz) shelled, unsalted, roasted pistachios
2 teaspoons ground cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
juice of 1 lemon
1 double chicken breast, about 470g (15 oz), roughly chopped
90 g (3 oz) sesame seeds (or couscous)
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for shallow-frying
tomato sauce, to serve
couscous, to serve
- With food processor motor running continuously, chop herbs, then add bread. When fine crumbs form, add pistachios and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add spices, lemon juice and chicken and blend only until combined. Season to taste and mix again, if necessary.
- With damp hands roll mixture into walnut-size balls.
- Roll in sesame seeds or couscous to coat and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil and cook kofta, shaking pan frequently to roll kofta, for 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm with tomato sauce and couscous.
Lyndey’s Note: Make your own tomato sauce or use a good quality bottled passata or pasta sauce.
Wine: Drink a light red wine such as chambourcin or sangiovese.
Recipe from Lyndey Milan. the Best Collection (New Holland 2009 and 2013)
If you like the flavours of this recipe you might like Quick Chicken Cassoulet with Preserved Lemon