Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
3 large oranges
¼ cup (60mls) honey
1 tbspn orange liqueur e.g. Grand Marnier or Cointreau
2 star anise or 1 tspn bruised cardamom pods
2cm piece fresh ginger, sliced
150g dried figs, halved
250g strawberries, washed and hulled
250g other berries e.g. raspberries, blackberries, blueberries
Good quality ice-cream
- Peel a couple of strips from one of the oranges, then juice (you should get about a cup). Place both in a medium saucepan with honey, liqueur, star anise or cardamom and ginger over low heat and stir to combine.
- Increase heat and when boiling, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 mins or until becoming more syrupy.
- Stir in the figs and cook for 10 minutes or until figs are plump.
- Stir in the berries and cook for 2 – 3 minutes or until the berries soften slightly.
- Serve warm with good quality ice–cream.
Lyndey’s Note: If fresh berries are hard to get 500g frozen mixed berries can be substituted.