French Toast stuffed with Ham and Fontina Cheese
Preparation 15 minutes
Cooking 10 minutes
1 loaf ciabatta or sourdough, unsliced
150g leg ham slices, off the bone
150g fontina, raclette or swiss cheese, sliced
1 ½ tablespoons (30g) butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons (40g) butter
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced)
- Slice bread into 4cm slices. Using a small knife carefully cut a pocket through the crust in one side of each slice leaving at least 1cm around the edges. Fill the pockets with ham and cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Soak stuffed bread slices in the egg mixture for 5 – 10 minutes, turning over several times so that it soaks up as much liquid as possible.
- Heat very large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and melt butter. When sizzling, remove the bread slices from the dish and place in the pan. Cook for several minutes until golden. Turn and cook on the other side until golden.
- Either place on a lined baking tray, or if frying pan is oven-proof, place in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serve immediately.