This carrot and zucchini cake recipe comes from episode 3 of Lyndey Milan’s Summer Baking Secrets.
Makes 1 slab cake – about 18 pieces
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
¾ cup (185g) caster sugar
Grated rind and juice one medium orange
¾ cup (180mls) olive oil
1 medium carrot, grated
1 small zucchini, grated
2 cups (300g) gluten free self-raising flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup (100g) walnuts, chopped
1½ cups (330g) pure icing sugar or gluten-free icing sugar mixture
Finely grated zest of one medium lemon
2 tablespoons (40mls) lemon juice
20g butter, softened
2/3 cup (100g) sunflower, pumpkin seeds and pine nut mix, toasted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease the base and sides of a deep 33×24 baking pan, line base and short sides with a sheet of baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat eggs in a medium bowl until thick and creamy, gradually add sugar, and beat well after each addition. Add the rind and juice, beat until well combined. Slowly add the olive oil, beating until well combined and mixture is thick and creamy. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Gently fold in carrot, zucchini, flour, cinnamon and walnuts. Pour cake mixture into pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- For lemon icing:Sift icing sugar into a bowl, add zest, then blend in lemon juice and butter with a spoon, mix well. Heat uncovered for 40-45 seconds in the microwave (or over a bowl of hot water), stir until smooth and shiny.
- Pour icing over cake, spreading roughly with a spatula and garnish with the sunflower seed mix.
Lyndey’s Note:Use a fruity extra virgin olive oil for a more distinct flavour in this moist cake.
Lyndey’s Bake Range is now available to purchase in store from Blueprint Retail in Potts Point! They are located at 46A Macleay St, Potts Point NSW 2011 and are open every day from 10:00-6:00pm (except Sundays – close at 5:00pm).