Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
This recipe must be made close to serving.
30g butter, softened
1 teaspoon grated red grapefruit rind
½ cup (110g) caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
¼ cup (35g) plain flour (or self-raising)
½ cup (125ml) red grapefruit juice
1 cup (250ml) milk
1 egg white, extra
icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a deep 1.25 litre (5 cup) capacity ovenproof dish.
- Beat butter, rind, sugar and egg yolks in a small bowl with an electric mixer until mixture until creamy. Beat in sifted flour and juice then gradually beat in milk.
- In a clean small mixing bowl, beat the 4 egg whites until firm peaks form; fold through the lime mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Bake for about 40 minutes or until golden brown and just firm to touch. There should be some liquid left in the bottom of the dish though this will be absorbed if you leave it standing.
- Dust with sifted icing sugar and serve immediately with cream or ice cream, if desired.
Lyndey’s Note: As this is an egg dish, sometimes it is recommended to cook in a water bath. To do this place the dish in a larger baking dish with enough cold water to come halfway up the side of the dish.