Preparation and Cooking Time: 20 minutes
150g (1 cup) mixed dried fruit
75g (½ cup) chopped dates
75g (½ cup) chopped prunes
35g (¼ cup) slivered almonds
60ml (1/4 cup) orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
150g (2/3 cup) brown sugar
75g (½ cup) plain flour
110g (3/4 cup) self-raising flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon bicarb soda
160ml (2/3 cup) cold water
30g butter, melted
1 egg white
160g (1 cup) icing sugar
- Pre-oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease mini muffin tins.
- Place mixed fruit, dates, prunes, almonds, orange juice and zeat in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, flours and spices and mix to combine.
- Dissolve bicarb soda in cold water and stir through pudding mixture with melted butter. Spoon into prepared tins and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- For Royal Icing, beat egg white and icing sugar together until smooth.
- To decorate, drizzle or pipe royal icing over cakes.
Lyndey’s Note: These little cakes will keep in an airtight container for up to one month.