Meatloaf with Tomato Sauce
Meatloaf with Tomato Sauce is a simple, inexpensive recipe but sure to be a crowd pleaser with the tomato sauce baked with it. The meatloaf itself is enriched with the rich flavours of Italian sausages and salami.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes + 10 minutes standing
250g Italian sausages
1 large (350g) red capsicum, chopped finely
1 large (200g) brown onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
500g beef mince
100g sliced salami, coarsely chopped
¾ cup (50g) stale breadcrumbs
1/3 cup (80ml) good quality barbecue sauce
1 egg, beaten lightly
¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
400g can diced tomatoes
125g cherry tomatoes, halved
Gnocchi and steamed/roasted winter vegetables, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200’C. Line a loaf tin (23cm x 12cm) with plastic wrap to mould meatloaf in. Line a baking tray big enough to hold the loaf tin with baking paper.
- Remove sausages from their skins, crumble and combine with capsicum, onion, garlic, mince, salami, breadcrumbs, barbecue sauce, egg and parsley in a large bowl and mix well.
- Press this mixture firmly into the loaf pan, then turn it out onto the baking dish. Combine cherry and canned tomatoes and pour evenly over the meatloaf.
- Bake meatloaf, uncovered, for about 1 hour or until cooked through. Stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve the meatloaf with gnocchi and/or steamed vegetables, if desired.
Related Recipe: Modern Meatloaf with Middle Eastern Flavours
First published in Selector Magazine. For recommended wine matches look here.
Photography by: John Bader