Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
375 g unsalted butter, softened
1½ (330g) cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
6 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups (450g) self-raising flour
375g unsalted butter
4 ½ cups (720g) icing sugar mixture
1-2 tablespoons milk, if needed
Icing sugar mixture, sifted
Fresh flowers and leaves
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease three 20cm round tins.
- Using an electric mixer beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until well combined. Sift the flour, and fold into the creamed butter mixture in two lots.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the cake tins and smooth the surface. Try to distribute the batter evenly, for a naked cake it’s a good idea to weigh the mixture in the tins, ours was around 450g in each cake tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in centre of cake. Leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes, and then carefully remove to finish cooling, cut side down, on a wire rack.
- To make butter cream: Use an electric mixer to beat the butter in medium bowl until pale, smooth and creamy. Add icing sugar, in small batches, until well combined. Start out adding it a spoonful at a time. Only add a little milk if the butter cream is too stiff.
- To decorate: Place one cake top side down on a flat based cake stand. Spread with butter cream and then pipe a little wall or “dam” around the circumference to help ensure the layering will be even. Repeat with the next cake, again putting it top side down. Put last cake on top and use a flat bladed flexible spatula to spread the butter cream on top and thinly around the side. Throw icing sugar on the top and at the side. An icing sugar shaker is good for this. Pile fresh flowers on top.
Lyndey’s Note: Dip your spatula in a glass of hot water and then wipe with a paper towel before spreading icing for a smooth even finish.
Lyndey’s Bake Range is now available to purchase in store from Blueprint Retail in Potts Point! They are located at 46A Macleay St, Potts Point NSW 2011 and are open every day from 10:00-6:00pm (except Sundays – close at 5:00pm).