Rag Pasta with Fresh Tomato & Basil
Preparation and cooking time 10 minutes
375 – 400g fresh lasagne sheets (size depends on brand)
2 medium ripe Roma tomatoes
1 medium red onion
½ cup (80g) good quality black olives
¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
1 tablespoon (20ml) balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper
½ bunch basil, leaves only
Freshly shaved parmesan
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- SLICE the lasagne sheets into wide strips and add separately to boiling water. Stir until water has returned to the boil to separate and cook for 3 minutes or until just tender.
- CHOP tomatoes into 1cm dice
FINELY CHOP red onion and
PRESS olives with knife blade, de-seed and halve with knife
Combine with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lay the basil leaves flat on a chopping board, roll tightly into a cigar and SHRED FINELY. This is a chiffonnade.
- Drain pasta, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Combine cooked pasta and tomato mixture. Add some of the cooking liquid for moisture if necessary. Stir through the basil, sprinkle with parmesan and serve immediately.