Redbelly Citrus Pickle
Serves 1 litre jar approx
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
4 (approx. 560g) Redbelly Citrus, washed, unpeeled
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (250ml) cider vinegar
½ cup (115g) caster sugar
½ cup (125ml) cold water
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
8 cardamom pods, cracked
1 cinnamon stick
1 fresh red chilli
4cm fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- Place Redbelly and salt in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Place a plate over them to keep them submerged. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, cook for 20 minutes or until the Redbelly are almost tender. Drain.
- If you wish to keep the pickle for up to 3 months, wash a 1 litre or slightly larger preserving jar and lid. Put the jar upright and lid separately in the oven at 120’C to sterilise for 20 minutes. Leave it there until ready to fill.
- Combine the vinegar, caster sugar and water in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Add spices, chilli and ginger. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, for flavours to infuse.
- Meanwhile slice Redbelly into rounds. Pour any juice which comes out into the pickling liquid. Add Redbelly and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pack into sterilised jar if using, cover and seal. Alternatively, if you are going to use the pickle sooner put in a clean air-tight container in the fridge. However, the pickle gets better with time.
- Serve with chicken, pork, lamb, fish, or cheese.