Smoky Chipotle Beef Brisket
Smoky Chipotle Beef Brisket can be served sliced and plated with creamy soft polenta or pulled apart and used in buns or any other way you like.
Serves: 4 – 6
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 ¾ – 2 ¼ hours
1kg approx. beef brisket
2 tablespoons (40 ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
400g can tomatoes
2 chipotle in adobo
¼ cup (60 ml) Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat one tablespoon (20 ml) oil over high heat in a medium sized frying pan with sides. Pat brisket dry with kitchen towel and brown on both sides for a minute or two. Remove from the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add onion and cook until it is softened, stirring often. Stir in garlic and cumin until aromatic.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing well and return brisket to the pot. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 1 ½ – 2 hours or until tender.
- Remove beef and increase heat to high and reduce sauce.
- Meanwhile heat remaining oil in a clean pan over high heat. Sear the beef on both sides until richly brown. Slice thinly and serve with soft polenta, green vegetable of choice and the sauce.
- Alternatively, brisket until it will pull apart with two forks. Stir through the sauce and use this pulled beef as you would pulled pork or other pulled meats.