Snapper in a Salt Crust with Gremolata
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
1kg whole snapper, gutted, scales left on
1.5kg coarse cooking salt
Leafy green salad, to serve
½ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons (40ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to very hot 250°C (230°C fan-forced). Wash the fish and pat dry, inside and out with kitchen paper. Place half of the salt on a large oven proof tray that is similar in size to the fish.
- For the Gremolata: Combine all ingredients and mix well. Set aside half of the gremolata for serving. Spoon the remaining gremolata in the cavity of the fish.
- Lay the fish on the salt. Put the remaining salt in a sieve or colander, and then run cold water over the salt until the salt is damp. Press the damp salt over the fish, mould the salt to completely cover the fish.
- Bake for 35 minutes, checking to see if it needs to change shelves to cook evenly. Remove the fish from the oven and stand for 5 minutes.
- To serve, use a hammer, meat mallet or sturdy knife to break open the crust. Carefully lift away the crust, the fish scales and skin should come away with it. Spoon the remaining Gremolata over the fish. Serve with a leafy salad, if desired.
Lyndey’s Bake Range is now available to purchase in store from Blueprint Retail in Potts Point! They are located at 46A Macleay St, Potts Point NSW 2011 and are open every day from 10:00-6:00pm (except Sundays – close at 5:00pm).