Spiced Orange Cakes
Whole orange cake with spiced orange blossom syrup, pistachios and rose petals – baked in mini loaf tins, topped with pistachios and rose petals.
Preparation: 15 minutes + 3 hours boiling for oranges
Cooking: 45 minutes
½ cup (125ml) olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1¼ cups (275g) caster sugar
250g ground almonds
½ cup (80g) icing sugar
¼ cup pistachios, roasted, roughly chopped
Rose petals, to serve
Spiced orange blossom syrup
1 orange, juiced
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
Pinch ground cloves
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon orange blossom water
1 tablespoon (20ml) lemon juice
- Place the oranges in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours or until the oranges are very tender. Drain and set the oranges aside to cool.
- While the oranges are boiling, make the spiced orange blossom syrup by combining orange juice, spices and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove heat, allow to cool and add orange blossom water and lemon juice.
- Sift icing sugar into a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon of the spiced orange blossom syrup and 2 teaspoons of water and mix until smooth. Set aside until serving.
- When the oranges are cooked, pre-heat oven to 160°C. Grease a mini loaf tin with eight 2/3 cup (160ml) holes with butter.
- Cut the cooked oranges in half and remove any seeds. Place in a food processor with eggs, olive oil, vanilla and sugar and process until smooth. Add ground almonds and pulse until just combined. Spoon batter into prepared loaf tins, putting two 1/3 cup measures in each hole, and bake for 45 minutes or until firm. Remove from oven and sprinkle each mini loaf with 2 teaspoons of cooled spiced orange blossom syrup. Leave to cool before removing from tins.
- To serve, drizzle each mini loaf with icing and top with pistachios and rose petals.
Lyndey’s Note: Orange blossom water is available from Middle Eastern food stores or gourmet delis. Ground almonds are also known as almond meal.