Strawberry Sponge Puddings with Strawberry Sauce
Strawberries can be enjoyed cooked, as well as natural as in these Strawberry Sponge Puddings with Strawberry Sauce.
Makes 6 individual puddings
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
2 x 250g punnets firm strawberries
2 tablespoons caster sugar
Finely grated zest 1 small orange
110g unsalted butter, softened
½ cup (110g) caster sugar, extra
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
¾ cup (110g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (20g) flaked almonds
Softly whipped cream or ice cream, to serve
1 x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled
Juice of 1 small orange
2 teaspoons icing sugar or caster sugar
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease six 1 cup capacity ovenproof dishes. Place dishes on a baking tray.
- Hull the strawberries, put two thirds of them in a large bowl, halve the remaining strawberries and add to the bowl. Sprinkle with caster sugar, add the zest and use a large spoon to gently mix. Divide the strawberries amongst the serving dishes.
- Cream the butter and extra sugar with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Add the vanilla bean paste and then the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift in the flour, folding it through all at once with a large spatula.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the strawberries, sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- For the Strawberry sauce: Blend the strawberries, juice and icing sugar until smooth.
- Serve puddings immediately with a generous drizzle of the strawberry sauce and softly whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
Lyndey’s Note: This can also be cooked in a larger dish e.g. 22.5 x 3.5cm (1.8 litre) round silicon tray from the Lyndey Milan range, in which case cook for 50 mins.