Tortilla Espagnol – Spanish Omelette
This very traditional recipe is sweet with the onions and can be eaten warm or cold.
Makes 12 wedges.
Preparation 5 mins.
Cooking 50 mins.
2 (250g) chorizo, cut in 1cm cubes
2 large red onions, sliced thinly
3 medium (420g) potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
Olive oil for shallow-frying
1/2 tsp sea salt
- Dry fry the chorizo over medium heat in a 26cm (top measurement) non-stick frying pan until crisp and it has released its oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
- Cook the onions in the chorizo oil in the same pan over medium heat until softened. Remove.
- Add a little olive oil to the pan and cook the potatoes in batches until softened.
- Whisk eggs and salt in a large bowl. Carefully stir in chorizo, onions and potato.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the frying pan; pour in potato mixture, press down firmly. Cook, uncovered, over a low heat for about 5 minutes or until the base of the omelette is browned.
- Cover the pan handle with foil and place the omelette under a hot grill until browned and set.
- Remove and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Loosen if necessary with a spatula. Invert onto board or serving plate and cut into wedges
Lyndey’s Note: Make ahead and reheat on medium in the microwave, after you have sliced it, for easy serving.