Wok-Tossed Crab & Mushroom Omelette
Wok-tossed crab & mushroom omelette is just a different way to cook an omelette and fun to master.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes + 2 minutes resting
1 teaspoon palm sugar
1 teaspoon (5 ml) fish sauce
¾ cup (180ml) peanut or vegetable oil
100g button mushrooms sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons grated ginger
3 green onions (shallots), thinly sliced
100g crab meat, lobster or green prawns, roughly chopped
5 x 55g eggs
100g bean sprouts
50g snow pea shoots
Kecap manis, to serve
Coriander leaves, to serve
Red chilli, to serve (optional)
- Dissolve the palm sugar in the fish sauce in a medium bowl.
- Heat two tablespoons (40ml) oil in the wok on medium. Cook the mushrooms until tender, then add garlic, ginger, green onions and crab, lobster or prawn. Cook only for a minute or two until fragrant, not cooked all the way through. Remove and reserve. Wipe out wok.
- Whisk eggs into palm sugar/fish sauce mixture.
- Heat remaining oil in the wok until smoking (essential for the egg to puff up). Add the egg mixture and it will puff up and crisp. Swirl around a little before the mixture all sets. Cook omelette for 2 – 3 minutes, then place the crab mixture in the middle. Top with bean shoots and sprouts. Cook for a further minute, then remove from the heat.
- Holding the omelette in place, tilt the wok to pour off excess oil.
- Fold one side of the omelette over the other side. Put it back on the heat and cook for 1 minute. Set the omelette aside to rest in a warm place for a further 2 minutes.
- To serve, carefully remove the omelette and place on a large plate. Drizzle with kecap manis, sprinkle with coriander leaves and chilli (if desired). Divide into 4 portions at the table.
Created by: Lyndey Milan for Pace Farm Eggs