Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
2 tablespoons soft butter
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
2 tablespoons flour, plain or self raising (it doesn’t seem to matter!)
juice and zest of 1 large (or 1.5 small) lemons
1 cup (250ml) milk
2 eggs, separated
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease an ovenproof dish.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and soft. Add the lemon juice and zest, flour, milk and egg yolks and combine well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Pour into the greased ovenproof dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- Serve warm with thick cream.
This recipe is from my book “Plates”, first published in 1995.