Marinated Baby Octopus
Many nations have a version of marinated octopus. In Portugal, it would customarily be served at the beginning of the meal as one of a number of dishes placed on the table. However, it can also be finished on the BBQ.
750g (1 1/2 lbs) baby octopus
1/12 cup (125ml/4fl oz) red wine vinegar
1/2 onion, sliced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
2 red chillies, finely chopped
1/4 cup (60ml/2fl oz) lemon juice (1 small lemon)
1 cup (250ml/8fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
1 cup freshly chopped herbs, e.g. parsley, coriander (cilantro)
2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint
- If octopus are not already prepared, cut off their heads and remove and discard the small hard ‘beak’ that remains in the top.
- Cover remaining tentacles with vinegar, onion, bay leaf and peppercorns and add cold water to cover, about 2 cups (500ml/18fl oz), depending on the size of the saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and drain immediately.
- Combine onion, chilli, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and herbs and season to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with octopus and crusty bread.
Lyndey’s Note: if preferred omit the boiling stage, marinate and when you are ready BBQ briefly
Wine: Choose a rose or light style of red wine.
Leave A Comment