Baked Eggs with Pancetta
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
3 teaspoons (15ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 small red capsicum (150g), chopped finely
6 slices (100g) pancetta, prosciutto or bacon, chopped finely
100g mushrooms, chopped finely
4 green onions (shallots), chopped finely
2/3 cup (50g) finely grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
French or Turkish bread, sliced & toasted, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to moderately hot (200ºC/180ºC fan forced). Oil four ¾-cup (180ml) ovenproof dishes.
- Heat remaining oil in medium frying pan over medium-high heat; cook capsicum and pancetta, stirring, until capsicum is just tender. Add mushrooms and green onions; cook until mushrooms are just tender. Remove from heat; stir in half the cheese.
- Divide capsicum mixture among dishes; break two eggs into each dish. Bake, uncovered, in moderately hot oven 5 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese over eggs; bake, further 5 minutes or until eggs are just set. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
Alternative ideas: Replace capsicum, pancetta and mushrooms with:
- Smoked salmon, ricotta and capers, no need to pre-cook just mix and put in ramekins with green onions
- For a vegetarian option, use olives, halved cherry tomatoes and spinach cooking only long enough to wilt the spinach
Created by: Lyndey Milan for Pace Farm Eggs
Photography: Jean Paul Urizar