Chilled Minted Pea & Lettuce Soup
Chilled Minted Pea & Lettuce Soup is a revival of an old classic, as good now as it was years ago. It also makes a lovely hot soup. Serve with Cornmeal Muffins
Preparation: 10 minutes + chilling time
Cooking: 20 minutes
1 iceberg or cos lettuce, washed
500g frozen baby peas or shelled, fresh peas
1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
1 cup thick European-style yoghurt
2 tablespoons finely chopped mint + small mint leaves, to serve
125g polenta or cornmeal
75g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour
½ tablespoon baking powder
150mls low-fat milk
55g butter, melted
Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Break up lettuce and place in a large saucepan with peas and chicken stock. Cover and place over high heat until it comes to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until peas are very tender. Remove from heat and cool a little.
- Process in food processor or blender for a finer texture. Stir in yoghurt and mint if you are using it. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour prior to serving.
- For the Muffins: Preheat oven to 200ºC fan-forced. Place paper cases in muffin tins or grease muffin tray with butter or olive oil. Mix dry ingredients. Whisk eggs and milk and stir in melted butter. Pour onto dry ingredients and mix well into a smooth batter.
- Ladle into muffin tray, about and bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Preferably serve warm.
- Chef’s Note: these muffins are delicious too with the addition of grated parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, olives, sun-dried tomatoes or dried fruit.
Lyndey’s Note: In cooler months this soup is just as delicious hot! Just return to the boil after pureeing and then stir in yoghurt and serve immediately. Do not reboil or yoghurt may curdle. The muffins are delicious too with the addition of grated parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, olives, sun-dried tomatoes or dried fruit.
Wine Match: choose a soft, approachable white wine like a marsanne, viognier, colombard or chenin blanc
Recipe from Lyndey Milan. The Best Collection (New Holland 2008)