Eggplant and Zucchini Fritters
Many cuisines feature fritters. In the Mediterranean, cooking in extra virgin olive oil was always a way of making inexpensive ingredients taste great. Cook these Eggplant and Zucchini Fritters in extra virgin olive oil and you won’t be disappointed.
Preparation time: 10 minutes + 30 minutes standing
Cooking time: 10 minutes
3/4 cup plain flour
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
2 finger or small eggplants (aubergines), cut crosswise into 5mm (1/4in) slices
3 zucchini (courgettes), cut crosswise into 5mm (1/4in) slices
2 egg whites
1 cup natural yoghurt
1/4 preserved lemon, rind only, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tablespoon chopped mint
1/2 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- Combine flour, oil, cumin if using and 150ml (5 fl oz) water and beat until smooth.
- Sprinkle eggplant and zucchini with salt and stand in a colander for 30 minutes. Pat dry with absorbent paper.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or wok until very hot.
- Whisk egg whites until firm peaks form and fold into flour mixture. Dip a few eggplant and zucchini slices at a time in batter and deep fry in hot oil until crisp.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately with yoghurt sauce.
For Sauce: Combine all ingredients and season to taste.
Wine: Sparkling wine or champagne is very cleansing with anything deep fried.
Recipe from Lyndey Milan, The Best Collection (New Holland 2009, 2013)