Flourless Chocolate Cake
Eggs are the foundation of this recipe made with easily obtained ingredients. It is gluten-free, rich and luscious. Do not be dismayed it will crack. That is the nature of a cake like this.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 65 minutes + cooling
200 g butter, chopped, plus extra for greasing
200 g dark chocolate (70%), broken up
1 tablespoon strong coffee
6 large eggs, separated
1 ¼ cups (275g) caster sugar
½ cup (50g) cocoa powder
250g raspberries or strawberries
Icing sugar to dust
Thick cream or ice-cream
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC. Grease a 20cm springform cake tin with a little butter and line with greaseproof paper.
- Combine butter and chocolate and either melt in microwave on medium in 2 x 1 minute bursts, stirring each time; or place in a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water on medium-low heat. Melt, stirring occasionally until smooth and glossy. Remove from heat and stir in coffee.
- Combine sugar and yolks and beat in electric mixer for 7 minutes, or until pale. Sift in the cocoa powder, then gently fold through to combine. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites for 1 to 2 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Fold 1/3 through the chocolate mixture, then gently fold through the remainder until smooth.
- Pour into prepared tin and place in oven for around 1 hour, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from tin. Decorate the centre of the cake with berries and dust with a little icing sugar. Serve with thick cream or ice-cream.
Created by: Lyndey Milan for Pace Farm Eggs
Photography: Jean Paul Urizar