Two fast fun recipes!
Posted by Lyndey Milan OAM on Sunday, 26 April 2020
Two fun fast recipes: Microwave Mug Cakes
It’s easy and fast to cook two microwave mug cakes in less than ten minutes. Watch my video for the method and find the ingredients in this blog post.
There’s one thing I love more than cooking, and that’s showing other people how easy it is to cook. I like to find fast yet fabulous ways to cook.
Much as the microwave isn’t my first choice when it comes to baking, I thought it was a fast, fun and effective way to go for my first Facebook Live. It seems many people agreed as I have had loads of requests for these recipes.
So first up some tips:
- Make sure your mug is microwave-safe – can use cups or ramekins too
- You can use any light flavoured oil or butter
- Different microwaves and shapes of cups will take a longer or shorter time
- These “cakes” are a bit more like puddings and are best eaten warm. They dry out a bit as they cool.
- I use Australian measurements. 1 tablespoon = 20mls
Melt-in-the-middle Chocolate Microwave Mug Cake
Cooking: 45 – 60 seconds
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons plain flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 medium egg
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 small left-over easter egg, soft chocolate truffle or pieces of chocolate
Greek yoghurt, cream or ice-cream to serve (optional)
- Mix dry ingredients in a 350ml cup or mug.
- Whisk in wet ingredients with a fork.
- Push the chocolate into the centre of the batter.
- Microwave on high for 45 – 60 seconds or until cooked on the outside but with a molten centre. Serve immediately with yoghurt, cream or ice-cream.
Carrot Mug Pudding Cake with Streusel Topping
Serves: 1 – 2
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 2 minutes
1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3 teaspoons mild oil like coconut, or melted butter
2 tablespoons (25g) finely grated carrots
1 tablespoon chopped nuts. E.g. walnuts, pecans (optional)
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup (60ml) milk
Greek yoghurt, ice-cream or cream, to serve
½ tablespoon cold butter chopped into tiny pieces
½ tablespoon plain flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a mug, cup or ramekin, combine all the cake ingredients in and stir until there are no lumps, making sure all the flour is mixed in.
- Microwave on high for 1 minutes
- Meanwhile mix streusel ingredients, until butter pieces are completely coated in the flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle small crumbles of streusel on top of the cake, spreading out evenly across the surface.
- Microwave on high for another minute or until baked through.
- Allow to cool a little and then serve with yoghurt, ice-cream or cream
You can use any type of milk.