These soft, light, chocolate souffles are a true treat for dessert. They will impress anyone and also impress their taste buds. Win win.
Preparation 15 minutes
Cooking 15 minutes
Soft butter for greasing
2 tablespoons caster sugar
200 g eating quality dark chocolate, chopped (no more than 50% cocoa butter)
50 g butter, chopped
4 egg yolks
7 egg whites
¼ cup (55 g) caster sugar, extra
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
Sifted Cocoa or icing sugar, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to moderately hot (200°C/180°C fan-forced).
- Brush the inside of 6-8 x ½ cup (125 ml capacity) ovenproof dishes with soft butter. Place sugar into one of the dishes, turn dish to coat base and side. Tip excess sugar into next dish; repeat with all dishes. Place dishes on oven tray.
- Combine chocolate and butter over very low heat or in a large heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until melted. Alternatively melt in microwave and stir. Remove bowl from heat; whisk in egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add extra sugar, beat until dissolved.
- Using a large balloon whisk, gently fold one third of the egg white mixture into chocolate mixture then fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Divide souffle mixture among prepared dishes; smooth tops with the back of a knife. Run your thumb and forefinger around rim to release mixture from edge of dish. Bake in moderately hot oven for about 12 minutes or until souffles are puffed.
- Dust Soufflés quickly with sifted cocoa or icing sugar if desired; serve immediately with vanilla ice cream.
Other Dessert Recipes